[Pharmwaste] FW: Chemicals in water altering genders of fish (*LakePepin, Peedee and Potomac Rivers)

Volkman, Jennifer (MPCA) Jennifer.Volkman at state.mn.us
Thu Feb 4 11:15:28 EST 2010

Great string! I just wanted to note again that 70% of the antibiotics and growth hormones that are produced are fed to livestock.  That is a heck of a lot of waste that will never be treated, that runs off directly and is taken up by the crops we consume.  I don't disagree with the point Howard was making even if the math is wrong.  I do think that separate collection of HH pharms only gets at a certain percent of the environmental issue.  However, it has a value beyond reducing what is flushed.  It raises awareness to get that stuff out of the house thereby reducing the potential for abuse or accidental overdose, and the data generated has/will really open some eyes on how much and what is routinely wasted.  I do wish we had the $$ for better waste water treatment, but we don't.  We do need prevention measures.  Any of you who have helped sort drugs at a collection event know the amount wasted is ridiculous.  Pharmacists in MN and our MN Pharmacy Association is very supportive and have willingly volunteered to staff our collection events to help sort. We also get help from pharmacy students which is great.  We can all contribute to reducing the problems from our own areas of expertise.  Keep up the good work all!
JV