Fw: [Pharmwaste] FW: Chemicals in water altering genders offish(*LakePepin, Peedee and Potomac River

Melody LaBella MLABELLA at centralsan.dst.ca.us
Fri Feb 5 16:11:00 EST 2010

Michele, I like your out-of-the-box thinking, but (as my post yesterday alluded to) prescription drugs are not the only chemicals that come to wastewater treatment plants.

In addition to water, human waste and toilet paper, we also get traditional pollutants (mercury, copper, lead, etc.), OTC medications, pesticides, flame retardants, plasticizers, household cleaners, laundry and dishwasher detergents, a myriad of personal-care products (lotions, deodorants, soaps, shampoos, perfumes, etc.), nanoparticles, and many, many more.

In a nutshell, it is not possible to design a centralized wastewater treatment system to render all those contents benign.

Melody LaBella
Environmental Engineer/
Pollution Prevention Program Coordinator
Central Contra Costa Sanitary District
Martinez, CA

>>> Michele Wisniewski <mediservrx at yahoo.com> 2/5/2010 9:08:41 AM >>>

Hi guys,

Allen said "Each town has its own individually flavored soup making a standardized chemical panacea impossible to design."

That's correct and by the same token each town has it's own doctors and their favorite list of drugs.  All docs seem to have a group of "old standbys" that they prescribe regularly.  With the advent of E- Prescribe wouldn't it make sense to route drug information, not anything hippa related, through a state wastewater database so we can clean up "our indiviually flavored soup" more effectivley.  If the docs are prescribing primarily anti-arrythmics and estrogen with no anitbiotics, then we cut our cost by tailoring our clean up and we focus on what is needed not our 1 fix for all big budget excuse for state and locals not to clean up our soup.

Michele Wisniewski
Purchasing Agent
Mediserv Pharmacy
941-927-2811