[Pharmwaste] Disposal information for H1N1 vaccine

Melody LaBella MLABELLA at centralsan.dst.ca.us
Wed Feb 24 21:03:17 EST 2010

Is it just me, or does something seem strange about a vaccine that needs
to be discarded as hazardous waste, if it's not injected into a human?
Seems like a clear case of the cure being worse than the disease.  Is
there not a non-hazardous preservative that could be used?

Melody LaBella
Environmental Engineer/
Pollution Prevention Program Coordinator
Central Contra Costa Sanitary District
Martinez, CA

>>> "Charlotte A. Smith" <csmith at pharmecology.com> 2/24/2010 10:57:34
AM >>>

There appears to be a great deal of confusion and conflicting advice
regarding the waste categorization and disposal of the H1N1 vaccine. In
an effort to assist healthcare facilities and health departments in
making waste disposal decisions, we*ve generated the attached News Alert
which provides a summary of the various vaccines and how they should be
categorized and disposed. We*ve also posted this on our website at
www.pharmecology.com. I hope this is helpful.  Best regards,  Charlotte
A. Smith, R. Ph., M.S., HEMDirector, PharmEcology ServicesWM Healthcare
Solutions, Inc.12229 W. North Ave., Suite 2Wauwatosa, WI
53226414-292-3959713-725-6363 (cell)414-479-9941
(fax)csmith at pharmecology.com Waste Management*s renewable energy
projects create enough energy to power over 1 million homes.