FW: [Pharmwaste] RE: PhRMA Medication Disposal Statement Released October 31, 2011

Bunnell, Ross Ross.Bunnell at ct.gov
Wed Nov 2 14:04:53 EDT 2011

Melissa and other members of the listserv:

Please be mindful that the environmental impacts associated with disposal in the trash will vary depending on how municipal solid waste is handled in a particular area.

Here in Connecticut, virtually all of the municipal solid waste ("MSW") generated by residents goes to Resources Recovery Facilities ("RRFs,, aka "trash to energy plants").  We in the waste program at CT DEP have worked with our air permitting folks and determined that our RRFs are more than capable of destroying pharmaceutical wastes without affecting emissions from the facilities.  It is therefore our stated policy that the "denature, disguise, and dispose" method is the advised method for residents in CT.  See our website:

http://www.ct.gov/dep/cwp/view.asp?a=2718&q=325496&depNav_GID=1645#Prescription
http://www.ct.gov/dep/lib/dep/p2/individual/consumerpharmdisposalfactsheet.pdf

Although we also allow take-back programs to occur, and feel that these programs are a valuable resource in certain situations (e.g., the surviving relative with a trash bag full of unused meds left over after a parent passed away), our primary policy is to "denature, disguise and dispose."  Indeed, many of the drugs collected at take back events are shipped to local RRFs for destruction - meaning that they wind up in the same place.  There are many other areas of the country - especially in the Northeast where landfill space is limited or non-existent - where conditions may be the same.

One shoe does not fit every foot.

--Ross Bunnell, Sanitary Engineer 3
Connecticut Department of Energy & Environmental Protection (DEEP)
Bureau of Materials Management and Compliance Assurance
Waste Engineering & Enforcement Division
Tel.  860.424.3274
Fax  860.424.4059
ross.bunnell at ct.gov