[Pharmwaste] letter sent to USFWS RE SMARxT pharmaceutical disposal program

Shield, Margaret Margaret.Shield at kingcounty.gov
Fri Nov 4 15:08:38 EDT 2011

Greetings. The attached letter was submitted today to Director Ashe of the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service (USFWS) about the SMARxT pharmaceutical disposal education campaign, with a Cc to Director Kerlikowske at the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy.  The letter has more than fifty signatories representing local agencies, law enforcement, elected officials, and individuals who are concerned about the confusing and contradictory advice provided by the SMARxT disposal program.  We are asking USFWS to encourage the use of medicine take-back programs where available, and to recommend trash disposal of medicines only as a last resort where allowed by local ordinances.  This change would bring the SMARxT guidance in line with the medicine disposal policies of other federal agencies, see materials appended to the letter.

Thanks to the agencies, organizations and individuals who signed this comment letter, in short order.  If your agency or organization was not able to sign, but has similar concerns about SMARxT, sending a separate communication to USFWS is still timely.

We hope for a quick resolution to this problem from USFWS so that consumers receive clear guidance on best disposal practices for leftover medicines to protect our kids, our families, and our environment.

Margaret Shield PhD
Policy Liaison
Local Hazardous Waste Management Program in King County
130 Nickerson Street, Suite 100, Seattle, WA 98109-1658
(w) 206-263-3059
(c) 206-265-9732

Protect Our Kids, Families, and Environment - www.TakeBackYourMeds.org