[Pharmwaste] Yellow Jug Old Drugs News Release 1.21.13

Ed Gottlieb egottlieb at cityofithaca.org
Tue Jan 22 12:45:04 EST 2013

The Yellow Jug Old Drugs program is clearly a great model for a large
scale collection program.  Great work!

Regarding point 5, do any of you think it would be possible for enough
data to be collected nationwide from communities with and without
collection programs to establish a cause and effect link between
decreases in youth prescription abuse rates or the number of accidental
poisonings and effective collection programs?

My common sense says that collection programs have at least some
positive effect.  I think it is likely that the program I'm involved
with, small as it is, has prevent at least one teen from becoming a drug
abuser and one person from being accidentally poisoned.  Though this
assumption is statistically unprovable, the financial savings alone from
this scenario would have more than paid for all the costs of our program
to date.

The high financial cost to society caused long term by one new teen
drug abuser and immediately by one accidental poisoning are good points
to make when asking for funding for your collection programs!

Ed Gottlieb
Chair, Coalition for Safe Medication Disposal
Ithaca, NY 14850
(607) 273-8381
fax: (607) 273-8433

>>> "Volkman, Jennifer (MPCA)" <jennifer.volkman at state.mn.us> 1/22/2013
12:08 PM >>>
Great News guys!

I love that last statistic! The others are good too, just sayin'.
Can you elaborate?