[Pharmwaste] 'Suppressed' EU report could have banned pesticides worth billions

Jim Mullowney jmullowney at pharma-cycle.com
Thu Feb 5 15:02:46 EST 2015

This post reminded me of a publication from 2010 from our friend Christian
Daughton.

Drugs are Chemicals Too.

A perspective regarding drug lethality can be gained by comparison with
pesticide toxicities.

Lethal doses in humans for pesticides are often rated on a scale where the
two most lethal groups

have LD50's of less than 1 mg/kg (extremely toxic) and 1-50 mg/kg (highly
toxic). But keep in

mind that these are two classes are no longer sold for home use; because of
their extreme

toxicity, they are available only for use by professionals. If we examine
fentanyl (or a number of other drugs not uncommonly available in homes)
(Daughton and Ruhoy 2009a), we see that they

can be lethal to children in doses of mg/body - one or more orders more
toxic than the most toxic

pesticides. Given that the less-toxic pesticides used by consumers are
rarely stored inside homes,

the gross disparity in the way which these hazardous medicinal substances
are treated is evident