[Pharmwaste] Supreme Court update

Ed Gottlieb EGottlieb at cityofithaca.org
Thu Feb 26 13:54:15 EST 2015

Since the folks in Alameda probably aren't allowed to keep us informed about their ongoing case, here is what I just learned:

On Feb. 25, the Supreme Court website [http://www.supremecourt.gov/search.aspx?filename=/docketfiles/14-751.htm] added an "Order extending time to file response to petition to and including April 15, 2015."

The reference librarian at the Cornell Univ. law library told me that the Feb. 12 "Response Requested (Due March 16)" was the Court asking Alameda County to file a response to the initial PhRMA request to hear the case. On Feb. 25th, they extended the deadline for a response from Alameda to April 15th.

Once a response is received, or the deadline for it passes, the case will probably be scheduled for a Conference.  It takes only one Justice to initiate a Conference discussion of a case.  It takes four Justices, wanting to hear arguments, for a case to put on their docket.

Hope this is accurate!

Ed Gottlieb
Chair, Coalition for Safe Medication Disposal
fax: (607) 273-8433