[Pharmwaste] RE: drug buster, drug dispose all

Ed Gottlieb EGottlieb at cityofithaca.org
Fri Sep 4 10:50:05 EDT 2015

Hi Linda,

Though not directly addressing your question, you may be interested to see a list of disposal products and their claims, including the two you asked about:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HSp0xej53KO0MkZ4f950BI-Hn2Bl-fD_QF54JHr35hU/edit?usp=sharing

It is my understanding that if RICA listed hazardous wastes are put in a disposal unit by a hospital the contents would have to be disposed of as hazardous waste unless testing showed it is no longer hazardous or they qualify as a conditionally exempt small quantity generator.

I have not seen evidence that any government agency has endorsed activated carbon or bentonite clay based disposal products as acceptable in meeting the DEA non-recoverable, or any other disposal standard.  I also have not seen evidence that any government agency has challenged the claims made for products using these materials.

Portable incinerators have run into issues regarding their air emissions.

If you receive any off-list replies addressing state approval/non-approval, please pass them on.  Thank you.

Ed Gottlieb
Chair, Coalition for Safe Medication Disposal