[Pharmwaste] "Pharmaceutical manufacturers resist responsibility for collection efforts"

Heidi Sanborn Heidi at calpsc.org
Wed Nov 2 09:34:06 EDT 2016

During yesterday's Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors meeting the pharmaceutical industry was successful at once again delaying the proposed Pharmaceutical and Sharps Extended Producer Responsibility Ordinance.

During the meeting Supervisor Sheila Kuehl and Board Chair Hilda Solis made strong statements about their unhappiness with the lack of progress the pharmaceutical industry made over the last six months.

The hearing video can be found on CPSC's YouTube Channel, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txLNAKCibDw, and is 1 hour and 6 minutes long. My remarks can be heard at 1:02:21.  We want to thank the LA County staff for their outstanding work and Heal the Bay and California Association for Retired Americans for their testimony after waiting all day - for a sixth time!

The outcome was the staff report was that the industry got an F grade (when asked for a grade by Chair Solis) for their lack of effort over the last six months and the report was presented, accepted and filed after public testimony.  The ordinance will likely come back sometime after two new supervisors are elected and seated.

If anyone has any questions, please let me know.

Heidi

Heidi Sanborn, Executive Director
(916) 706-3420  office  (916) 402-3911 cell  Heidi at CalPSC.org<mailto:Heidi at CalPSC.org>
[cpsc_logo_350_pix]
[cid:image001.png at 01CC57C5.8223CD60]<http://www.calpsc.org/>Web<http://www.calpsc.org/>   [cid:image002.png at 01CC57C5.8223CD60] <http://www.youtube.com/calpsc>  YouTube<http://www.youtube.com/calpsc>   [cid:image011.png at 01CC47A7.7F3D5C20] <http://www.facebook.com/pages/California-Product-Stewardship-Council/260410326394>  Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/pages/California-Product-Stewardship-Council/260410326394>   [cid:image012.png at 01CC47A7.7F3D5C20] <http://twitter.com/CalPSC>  Twitter<http://twitter.com/CalPSC>   [cid:image013.png at 01CC47A7.7F3D5C20] <http://linkedin.com/companies/275758/california+product+stewardship+council>  Linked In<http://linkedin.com/companies/275758/california+product+stewardship+council>