[Pharmwaste] NACDS comments to President's Commission on Combating Drug Addiction and the Opioid Crisis

Ed Gottlieb EGottlieb at cityofithaca.org
Tue Jul 11 13:37:57 EDT 2017

https://www.benzinga.com/pressreleases/17/07/p9759366/nacds-submits-comments-to-presidents-commission-on-combating-drug-addic

One of their points:

 Take-back and Disposal of Consumers' Unused Medications: "NACDS supports the safe and effective disposal of unwanted consumer medications, including controlled substances, to stem the abuse of such drugs and to better protect the environment…We believe that policymakers who have decided to tackle the drug disposal issue should ensure that pharmacies are able to create programs that best serve the needs of their patients, as well as workable solutions for their store locations. Overall, patients should have a wide variety of options for how they can dispose of their unused medications. With more options, we can expect to have higher patient participation in prescription drug disposal programs…When policymakers consider proposals for drug disposal, we ask that they consider retail pharmacies' support for broad drug disposal programs that allow pharmacies to facilitate at least one of a variety of DEA authorized options for drug disposal…Retail pharmacies support consumer education programs on drug disposal developed and funded by the government and/or pharmaceutical manufacturers…Ideally, such materials would focus on the dangers of misuse and the potential for addiction to prescription controlled substances, treatment resources available, and the proper way to dispose of unused prescription controlled substances…Finally, any legislative package adopting the policy proposals outlined above should also include a preemption provision. NACDS encourages the Commission to work with DEA to promote continued periodic take-back events hosted by DEA. We also encourage the Commission to pursue patient education programs as outlined above."

Ed Gottlieb
Chair, Coalition for Safe Medication Disposal
Board Member, New York Product Stewardship Council
fax: (607) 273-8433