[Pharmwaste] Wisconsin has another take-back record

Volkman, Jennifer (MPCA) jennifer.volkman at state.mn.us
Fri Jan 4 14:15:10 EST 2019

Happy Friday! Maybe we'll get back to knowing what day of the week it is, ay?

Minnesota established new prescribing guidelines for opioids/controlled substances. I think doctors are following them, or beginning to. https://mn.gov/dhs/assets/mn-opioid-prescribing-guidelines_tcm1053-337012.pdf Mayo has been and has gotten more strict in particular. The pendulum appears to have swung fully to the ultra-conservative side from the "free for all" side. My concern is that it will resort in "hoarding" them vs. turning in the leftovers. Anecdotally, that seems to be the case when I bring it up in different groups.

There is also an effort named "One Health Antibiotic Stewardship" that is working on better targeted and less prescription of antibiotics. We are doing some good work that I sure hope reduces the prescribing of those. http://www.health.state.mn.us/onehealthabx/   This might also be a program that other states are working on. I believe there were national dollars available to support it, but that might have come through the University.

We don't collect much during the annual events. It could be because we have a lot of permanent sites, but I believe WI is sitting good there as well. It could also be due to the effort, or lack thereof, of associated advertising. I don't see much here, other than city/local paper level.

It is my understanding that DEA will pay for volume collected during the year if a permanent site collects on the event date/s and disposes of their annual volume during/right after the event. DEA gets more credit for doing good and it is good that they cover disposal. Not all MN collection sites take advantage of that for reasons I haven't investigated, other than our metro sites are large enough that they have to keep up with disposal. So it could be that the volume isn't reflective of just a one day event, but the event volume plus 6 months of volume collected by permanent sites. I know that for us, the overlap creates a potential double count issue when we collect data on the total collected annually. Our amounts keep climbing as we continue to add sites. We're looking forward to a downward trend, but I figure that is years away yet.

A large benefit of product stewardship legislation is that the program plans are required to include an education effort. The State doesn't have a dedicated educational effort, except through leveraging some of the opioid related grants and the antibiotic work. If we could afford our own commercial after every new fabulous drug commercial...