shrug-l: 3D Mapping Assistance Request

comments@shrug-gis.info comments@shrug-gis.info
17 Dec 2003 19:47:30 -0000

------10716904500.229356895973073

Hello!  I'm with the Gwynndale Neighborhood on north Monroe.  I found
your organizational link on the Leon County GIS website and thought I
would inquire about assistance with a 3D mapping effort.

Our neighborhood is currently contending with a proposed WalMart
Super Center to be built on the site of the Sam's Club on north
Monroe (US 27) near of I-10.  This particular site has severe slopes
that are difficult to appreciate unless you physically visit the site
(i.e. 90 foot changes in elevation over 300 feet).  However, most
County Commissioners have neither the time nor inclination to make a
site visit.  Consequently, we would like to provide them with a 3D
visual representation of the terrain.

The problem is we have minimal expertise and funds available to
produce such a map.  I was hoping that I might prevail upon your
organization or some of its members to help us with this effort.  The
map/computer image would be needed for a County Commission meeting on
Jan 27.

I have a large topographical map with 2 foot contours that could be
scanned and/or digitized to give map reference points but don't know
how to proceed from there.  The software I found on the web is too
expensive for our budget.

Any help or advice you could provide would be appreciated.

Bob Pannell
Gwynndale Neighborhood
thepannells@earthlink.net
562-5385

------10716904500.229356895973073

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
6.0.6487.1">
<TITLE>3D Mapping Assistance Request</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<!-- Converted from text/rtf format -->

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Hello!&nbsp; I'm with the Gwynndale =
Neighborhood on north Monroe.&nbsp; I found your organizational link on =
the Leon County GIS website and thought I would inquire about assistance =
with a 3D mapping effort. </FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Our neighborhood is currently =
contending with a proposed WalMart Super Center to be built on the site =
of the Sam's Club on north Monroe (US 27) near of I-10.&nbsp; This =
particular site has severe slopes that are difficult to appreciate =
unless you physically visit the site (i.e. 90 foot changes in elevation =
over 300 feet).&nbsp; However, most County Commissioners have neither =
the time nor inclination to make a site visit.&nbsp; Consequently, we =
would like to provide them with a 3D visual representation of the =
terrain.&nbsp; </FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">The problem is we have minimal =
expertise and funds available to produce such a map.&nbsp; I was hoping =
that I might prevail upon your organization or some of its members to =
help us with this effort.&nbsp; The map/computer image would be needed =
for a County Commission meeting on Jan 27.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">I have a large topographical map with 2 =
foot contours that could be scanned and/or digitized to give map =
reference points but don't know how to proceed from there.&nbsp; The =
software I found on the web is too expensive for our budget.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Any help or advice you could provide =
would be appreciated.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Bob Pannell</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Gwynndale Neighborhood</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">thepannells@earthlink.net</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">562-5385</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>
</HTML>

------10716904500.229356895973073--