shrug-l: Colorado and Florida Lowest Ranked on National GIS Coordination Survey

Jim Robeson jim@gpserv.com
Wed, 2 Jun 2004 09:52:55 -0400

Our NSGIS Rep was David Stage. I would guess that he was not replaced.

This is a most embarrassing situation and it is unfortunately deserved.  The
involvement in the community we call GIS have diminished nation-wide.
Organizations like ASPRS and URISA are all but dead.  Even FSMS, who most
people think represent the survey community, represent less that 30% of
their industry.  Small local users group are popping up to fill the void.
In many ways the rise of local users groups indicate that the communities
needs are not being addressed in a larger forum.  The local/regional GIS
users groups are a result of a lack of leadership in this State.  The Joint
Mapping Conference has very little involvement by the State and has suffered
considerable in the past 6 years.  I would guess that the turnout has been
consistently been below 200 for 5 years.

I am encouraged that several or the State Agencies GIS Coordinators are at
lease concerned.  Where are the rest of you?

More of my opinion:  This is a perfect use of this List!  This is the
re-building of a community.

I'm really stuck on the term community, it is what makes a single person
powerful; the support of a community!

JR

James M.Robeson
< <<mailto:Jim@GPServ.com>>>