shrug-l: Colorado and Florida Lowest Ranked on National GIS Coordination Survey

Joe Noble jnoble@ttrs.org
Wed, 2 Jun 2004 10:32:08 -0400

Jim, you are right, According to NSGIC David filled out the survey, but
is not the coordinator, he did so as a private industry representative,
no further details. I guess we couldn't even coordinate a coordinator.
NSGIC indicated that they listed Steve but have never talked with him.
Tracy Tucker (NSGIC) indicated that prior to the release of the report;
NSGIC contacted the governor's office who referred them to the State
CIO.  Although several attempts were made, there was no response from
the CIO's office.=20

-----Original Message-----
From: shrug-l-admin@lists.dep.state.fl.us
[mailto:shrug-l-admin@lists.dep.state.fl.us] On Behalf Of Jim Robeson
Sent: Wednesday, June 02, 2004 9:53 AM
To: shrug-l@lists.dep.state.fl.us
Subject: RE: shrug-l: Colorado and Florida Lowest Ranked on National GIS
Coordination Survey

Our NSGIS Rep was David Stage. I would guess that he was not replaced.

This is a most embarrassing situation and it is unfortunately deserved.
The
involvement in the community we call GIS have diminished nation-wide.
Organizations like ASPRS and URISA are all but dead.  Even FSMS, who
most
people think represent the survey community, represent less that 30% of
their industry.  Small local users group are popping up to fill the
void.
In many ways the rise of local users groups indicate that the
communities
needs are not being addressed in a larger forum.  The local/regional GIS
users groups are a result of a lack of leadership in this State.  The
Joint
Mapping Conference has very little involvement by the State and has
suffered
considerable in the past 6 years.  I would guess that the turnout has
been
consistently been below 200 for 5 years.

I am encouraged that several or the State Agencies GIS Coordinators are
at
lease concerned.  Where are the rest of you?

More of my opinion:  This is a perfect use of this List!  This is the
re-building of a community.

I'm really stuck on the term community, it is what makes a single person
powerful; the support of a community!

JR

James M.Robeson
< <<mailto:Jim@GPServ.com>>>