shrug-l: Colorado and Florida Lowest Ranked on National GIS Coordination Survey

Lee Hartsfield LEEH@mail.co.leon.fl.us
Wed, 02 Jun 2004 12:01:01 -0400

As part of some recent discussions held at the SHRUG meeting last
November and the recent Joint Mapping Conference, I had an opportunity
to discuss this and other issues with Steve Hodge. Steve had agreed to
place his name as the contact when David Stage left his position with
the FL GIB.  However, it did not recognize Steve as anything more than
an e-mail address.

I am part of a FLURISA sub-committee which is planning a statewide
GIS/Geo-spatial Forum.  Many key GIS professionals from around Florida
have expressed an interest in discussing strategies on how we can
improve the cooperative efforts of GIS around the state.  The one day
forum would explore revitalizing GIS cooperative and collaborative
efforts within Florida.

Florida has seen a growth of strong regional user groups and this could
provide the nucleus for a stronger statewide organization.  Hopefully,
the FLURISA sub-committee can provide the forum for the discussion to
begin.  We are bringing together the sub-committee in the next few days
to discuss timing, format and a list of targeted individuals to attend.
Your input is appreciated.  Thanks, Lee

Lee N. Hartsfield
TLC GIS Coordinator
301 S. Monroe St.
Tallahassee, FL 32301
Ph. (850) 488-2818
FAX (850) 922-0099

>>> "Joe Noble" <jnoble@ttrs.org> 6/2/2004 10:32:08 AM >>>
Jim, you are right, According to NSGIC David filled out the survey,
but
is not the coordinator, he did so as a private industry
representative,
no further details. I guess we couldn't even coordinate a coordinator.
NSGIC indicated that they listed Steve but have never talked with him.
Tracy Tucker (NSGIC) indicated that prior to the release of the
report;
NSGIC contacted the governor's office who referred them to the State
CIO.  Although several attempts were made, there was no response from
the CIO's office.