shrug-l: Locate Duplicate Records

Sandell, Keith M. sandell.keith at mail.dc.state.fl.us
Thu Feb 26 12:42:49 EST 2009

Hey everyone,

Quick turn around on that, thanks! The suggestions were:

-          To use one of the many different options available for free
download at http://www.ian-ko.com/free/free_arcgis.htm
<http://www.ian-ko.com/free/free_arcgis.htm>  - many recommendations for
this site

-          Import the table into an access db and use the find
duplicates query

-          Use dissolve tool or summarize column on the attribute table
to identify the duplicates

-          For those you with SAS you can use LAG statements

-          Right-click the attribute field and Summarize, then add the
new table to the map and sort descending to quickly locate the
duplicates

-          Summarize the field, sort descending and then query on the
values

Personally I like the quick and dirty methods for getting my "right-now"
solution, but I am going to be looking at the other suggestions as time
allows to find a permanent solution for this ongoing issue.

In keeping with the quick and dirty I decided to summarize the field in
Map, added the new table and then joined the summary table to the
original using that same field and sorted the Cnt_ID descending to bring
the wayward records to the top to bring my search and destroy mission to
a close just as quickly as it began.

Thank you for all the great suggestions. Ya'll are a great group of
people!

Keith Sandell, MBA

Correctional Services Assistant Consultant

Florida Department of Corrections

Phone: (850) 410-3045

Fax: (850) 487-4427