shrug-l: opening outsiders' MXDs

Andrasek, Shereen (DP&Z) andrase at miamidade.gov
Tue Sep 8 11:10:17 EDT 2009

Well, it turns out my problem was with the version.  The ArcGIS version
I use is 9.1 and the version that was posted in Janis Paulsen's map was
9.3.

The originator of the mxd, Chris Moore, sent me the mxd in the  9.1
version.  Voila, I was able to see the map.  As Tripp says, I should be
able to open someone else's mxd albeit the links to various layers would
have a red ! in the TOC.  I really don't think there was a permission
issue: the layers used were shp files, no geodatabases or sde layers.
The creators of the MXDs that I wasn't able to see were made by
technicians with only basic GIS skills; no advanced fancy work,
versioning, permissions, etc.  No special tools involved.  No special
embedded images.  So, when all is said and done, it seems that the techs
were using a new version of GIS then me.  Today, I'm taking the time to
upgrade my local version to 9.3.

I'd like to thank everyone who took the time to respond to my issue: it
seemed to be somewhat of an easy problem.  I hope someday to come up
with a doosie that will really tickle everyone's fancy.

Thanks again to all,

~~ Shereen