shrug-l: ArcGIS 10.1 - What's coming - spatial DB connections

Keith Sandell Keith.Sandell at citizensfla.com
Wed Jul 13 16:16:48 EDT 2011

Query layers are pretty cool things. I recently completed a web
application that uses them as all of the data is in SQL Spatial Types.

>From an existing ODBC connection you can view the tables in the DB and
select the table you want, it does not provide any capacity to edit
them, it is read only.

Right now query layers can only be created in ArcMap, at 10.1 the python
library will be updated to allow for programmatic connections, or so I
was told at the Dev Summit by a Product Mgr.

You can use some very minor SQL syntax in creating the query to access
the data, but beware that within the query layer dialog box you are
actually looking at a view of the table. Query layers do not access the
table directly. They did this to create one (1) interface that can
connect to the 4 or 5 different spatial databases they support. Only
very limited sql is allowable in a view and even some that is legal will
generate an error. The docs say that "any" legal sql stmt can be used.
They even go to the extent to say you can copy and paste from something
like SQL Server Mgmt Studio; this is inaccurate and it will not work all
the time because you are pasting into the design of a table view.

The benefit of the query layers in dynamic applications is that they
effectively create a disconnect between the table and the GIS part.

An example:

SQL spatial table with current hurricane forecast data is exposed to a
REST service via a mxd/msd

You can make a change to the data in SQL without hitting any locks or
other hiccups and the change will propagate up through the service to
the web app either on reload of the app or if you have a function to do
an ajax call to refresh the data in the current session of the
application.

Once you create the web service you don't have to stop, restart,
refresh...it just comes through.

I've been living and breathing these things for the past 3 months so if
anyone has any questions about spatial data in SQL (I know a teensy bit
about Oracle as well) and/or query layers feel free to drop me a line.

Keith Sandell, MBA

GIS Manager, Corporate Analytics

Citizens Property Insurance Corporation

ofc. 850.521.8341   |   cell 850.727.2897