shrug-l: Any suggestions --- Reversing ArcMap editing from 10 to9.x?

Tan, Yurong (OIG) Yurong.tan at va.gov
Thu Jul 28 11:50:40 EDT 2011

Here are a couple observations from a couple preliminary tests.

Open ArcCatalog, created a new PGDB, create a new (empty) polygon
feature class there. --- everything is brand new with 10 and SP2.

Opened ArcMap and added a few circles and rectangles to the new feature
class and gave each feature a name.

Saved the edits/features, saved the work as a new MXD, and exit ArcMap.

Reopened ArcMap and the MXD,

started Edit session, everything is fine.

Then,

1.        Added a query to select only some features (not all) and then
restarted a new edit session, now nothing was editable.  Duplicated the
map layer and then removed the query in the duplicated layer, you are
good on the duplicated layer, but not on the one with a query sitting on
it (both have the same data source!).

2.       Similarly, if deleted some feature(s) and saved the work.  You
would be out of luck when you come back to edit the same layer.
However, if you export the entire layer, you will be OK with the
exported layer.

Observations:

1.       If there is a feature(s) missing or excluded by a query, an
edit template is NOT going to be created.  No edit template no editing!

2.       If there is a gap in the ObjectID's, it appears no editing is
allowed (no edit template).  This has been shown that when a data layer
was exported, the newly exported one would become editable --- an export
leads to "packing" the ObjectID and eliminating the gap(s) in the
ObjectID's.

I think both are good candidates for the library ESRI used to call
"Undocumented Functionality".

Thanks

Yurong Tan, PhD

Program Analyst (GIS)