shrug-l: Metadata at ArcGIS v10

Thomas, Jim jim_thomas at golder.com
Wed Feb 1 18:46:19 EST 2012

Hi All,

I feel silly for asking this because I've been using ArcGIS v10 for well over a year now, but can someone briefly explain how metadata storage and editing works at v10?  I've imported, edited, and exported metadata several times in v10, but I still get confused and frustrated with the process.  I've read the ArcGIS Help and have an idea, but I'm hoping someone out there can describe it in layman's terms how metadata is supposed to be maintained.  Or maybe offer suggestions based on your practices.

To give you some background.  I've compiled a geodatabase of various datasets that I'll use in a study - most from outside sources that have accompanying metadata.  I then take subsets of those datasets and use them in a quantitative model.  At that point, I like to edit the metadata to address modifications and supplemental information such as how the data is intended for use in the model.

Thanks for your help!

Jim Thomas, GISP | GIS Analyst | Golder Associates Inc.
9428 Baymeadows Road, Suite 400, Jacksonville, Florida, USA 32256
T: +1 (904) 363-3430 | F: +1 (904) 363-3445 | E: jim_thomas at golder.com<mailto:jim_thomas at golder.com> | www.golder.com<http://www.golder.com/>

Work Safe, Home Safe

This email transmission is confidential and may contain proprietary information for the exclusive use of the intended recipient. Any use, distribution or copying of this transmission, other than by the intended recipient, is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender and delete all copies. Electronic media is susceptible to unauthorized modification, deterioration, and incompatibility. Accordingly, the electronic media version of any work product may not be relied upon.