shrug-l: ArcGIS 10.1 what and when
tcorbin at egisassociates.com
Fri Feb 24 10:37:22 EST 2012
Good morning fellow Shruggers
This week at the Esri Federal Users Conference Jack Dangermond talked about
the pending release of ArcGIS 10.1. During his presentation he shared that
parts of this new release would start hitting the streets sometime in March.
With the release of any new software version, you have to make a
determination about whether or not you and your organization should upgrade
or not. There are always several factors that play into such a decision but
one of the key factors is "does the new release contain functionality that
would make my life easier."
So what is some of the new functionality you can expect to see with ArcGIS
10.1. Also don't forget that Esri is changing the names of the Licensing
levels for ArcGIS Desktop to be more consistent with ArcGIS Server. ArcView
is now ArcGIS Desktop Basic. ArcEditor is now ArcGIS Desktop Standard and
ArcInfo is now ArcGIS Desktop Advanced.
Integration with other Software:
1. Integration with Microsoft Office with new application call Maps
Ribbon. This application takes data stored in a spreadsheet and creates maps
on the fly. This map can then be exported to PowerPoint.
2. Integration with Microsoft Sharepoint, IBM Cognos, and
3. Full 64 Bit support
4. Linux version
Editing and Visualization:
1. Import support for KML files - Import KML files directly into maps
2. Edit Tracking - New Tab that shows edit while changing or adding
features. See what you have done
3. Dynamic Legends - Change with display and scale
4. Improved support for Time enabled data - New live mode allows live
information to be incorporated into map
5. Improved Map Packages -allow additional information to be included
in the file such as reports and timelines
6. Better integration with ArcGIS Online and ArcGIS Server for improved
sharing of data
1. New Grouping Analysis - find patterns using multiple variables
2. Spatial weighting based on distance
1. ArcGIS Server can now render LiDAR data into a 3D model
2. ArcGIS Desktop supports use of LAS files
3. Several New base maps have been added to ArcGIS online gallery
4. Full motion video support
5. Multitemporal and multispectral image display can now be viewed as a
1. ArcGIS Runtime - allows for creation of light weight focused desktop
2. New Web APIs
I am sure there will be more information released as we get closer to the
actual release. I hope this proves helpful as you begin planning for the
release of 10.1.
Tripp Corbin, MCP, CFM, GISP | Chief Executive Officer
<http://www.egisassociates.com/> eGIS Associates, Inc.
<mailto:tcorbin at egisassociates.com> tcorbin at egisassociates.com |
678-710-9710 ext 21 | 866-304-3864 Fax
Esri Certified Trainer | Esri Certified Desktop Associate
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the SHRUG-L