shrug-l: Walking around the world

Keith Sandell Keith.Sandell at citizensfla.com
Mon Sep 9 16:05:36 EDT 2013

A person sets out walking west from a point on the equator. When he returns to his starting point he has just walked around the world. He steps 1 meter to his right and treks on to the west again on a path parallel to his last.

He continues doing this until he is about 1 meter from the north pole and sets out again, but this time he has only walked about 6.28 meters before arriving back at his point of origin.

Did he actually walk around the world again?

If not, at what point did he stop walking around the world?

Keith Sandell, MBA, GISP
GIS Manager, Corporate Analytics
Citizens Property Insurance Corporation
2320 Killearn Center Blvd, Bldg D, Tallahassee, Florida 32309
ofc. 850.521.8341   |   cell 850.727.2897

"If we are to achieve results never before accomplished we must expect to employ methods never before attempted." - Francis Bacon