shrug-l: Prepare Yourself for the Coming New Datums with a Refresher from NEURISA Webinar Recording Available

Tripp Corbin tcorbin at egisassociates.com
Fri Jul 15 09:36:07 EDT 2016

Good morning everyone,

As many of you know a new Datum is coming. The New England URISA
<http://www.neurisa.org/>  chapter recently hosted as webinar on this very
topic which they recorded and have now made available to everyone. I thought
this might be of interest to those on this list so NEURISA gave me
permission to share it out for the benefit of the GIS community as a whole.

General Webinar Overview:

Projections and Datums are an often overlooked component in GIS workflows,
yet they provide the very base of the geospatial data itself.  Many GIS
solutions provide semi-automated means of dealing with differences in datums
and projections that can remove a level of awareness from the end user. Yet
as our capability of mapping with greater accuracy and precision gets more
advanced, so too does the necessity for proper handling of those base
references.  Distortions from a poor map projection or positional inaccuracy
from either poor transformations or improper selection can introduce
problems in analysis and measurement.  With many GIS professionals still
remembering the move to NAD83 from NAD27 not so long ago, to prepare for the
new datums coming to us in 2022 we will need to hone our skills around these
fundamental concepts.  The first part of this webinar will focus on basic
geodetics, taking a quick look at the core concepts of reference systems,
presented by Sam Knight of Blue Marble Geographics.  Next, Dan Martin of
NOAA, will present an overview of the ongoing initiative to create new
national reference systems for the US by 2022 and what to expect with these
new systems.  Throughout this session, we will explore the theoretical, the
practical, and where to go to both broaden and deepen our knowledge.  We
close the session with a question and answer session hosted by NEURISA.

Link to watch webinar -  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcsQr71ls6c

I hope this proves informative.

 <mailto:tcorbin at egisassociates.com> tcorbin at egisassociates.com |
www.egisassociates.com

678-710-9710 ext 21 | 866-304-3864 Fax

Esri Certified Desktop Professional | Esri Certified Enterprise System
Design Associate

Order my new book
<https://www.packtpub.com/application-development/learning-arcgis-pro>
Learning ArcGIS Pro now!