shrug-l: Prepare Yourself for the Coming New Datums with a Refresher from NEURISA Webinar Recording Available

Lewers, Shawn slewers at fsu.edu
Fri Jul 15 09:58:39 EDT 2016

This is very useful. Thanks.

Sent from Shawn Lewers' iPhone.
Please excuse typos from mobile devices.

On Jul 15, 2016, at 9:36 AM, Tripp Corbin <tcorbin at egisassociates.com<mailto:tcorbin at egisassociates.com>> wrote:

Good morning everyone,
As many of you know a new Datum is coming. The New England URISA<http://www.neurisa.org/> chapter recently hosted as webinar on this very topic which they recorded and have now made available to everyone. I thought this might be of interest to those on this list so NEURISA gave me permission to share it out for the benefit of the GIS community as a whole.

General Webinar Overview:
Projections and Datums are an often overlooked component in GIS workflows, yet they provide the very base of the geospatial data itself.  Many GIS solutions provide semi-automated means of dealing with differences in datums and projections that can remove a level of awareness from the end user. Yet as our capability of mapping with greater accuracy and precision gets more advanced, so too does the necessity for proper handling of those base references.  Distortions from a poor map projection or positional inaccuracy from either poor transformations or improper selection can introduce problems in analysis and measurement.  With many GIS professionals still remembering the move to NAD83 from NAD27 not so long ago, to prepare for the new datums coming to us in 2022 we will need to hone our skills around these fundamental concepts.  The first part of this webinar will focus on basic geodetics, taking a quick look at the core concepts of reference systems, presented by Sam Knight of Blue Marble Geographics.  Next, Dan Martin of NOAA, will present an overview of the ongoing initiative to create new national reference systems for the US by 2022 and what to expect with these new systems.  Throughout this session, we will explore the theoretical, the practical, and where to go to both broaden and deepen our knowledge.  We close the session with a question and answer session hosted by NEURISA.

Link to watch webinar -  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcsQr71ls6c

I hope this proves informative.

eGIS Associates, Inc.<http://www.egisassociates.com/>
tcorbin at egisassociates.com<mailto:tcorbin at egisassociates.com> | www.egisassociates.com
678-710-9710 ext 21 | 866-304-3864 Fax
Esri Certified Desktop Professional | Esri Certified Enterprise System Design Associate

Order my new book Learning ArcGIS Pro<https://www.packtpub.com/application-development/learning-arcgis-pro> now!
<image002.jpg><https://www.packtpub.com/application-development/learning-arcgis-pro>