shrug-l: ArcGIS Pro 2.1 is here

Tripp Corbin tcorbin at egisassociates.com
Fri Jan 19 12:38:25 EST 2018

Esri has released ArcGIS Pro 2.1. This new version should be available for
you to download now. ArcGIS Pro 2.1 continues the trend of moving closer to
parity with ArcMap and ArcCatalog as far as available tools and
functionality. Because ArcGIS Pro is a native 64-bit application (ArcMap and
ArcCatalog are 32 bit), it generally out performs ArcMap when performing the
same operations.

So, what can you expect from this new release:

1.	Support for Utility Networks
<http://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/data/utility-network/what-is-a-utilit
y-network-.htm> . I believe this is what ArcGIS Pro uses in place of
geometric networks.
2.	Two new extensions for ArcGIS Pro, Business Analyst Pro
<http://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/analysis/business-analyst/what-is-bus
iness-analyst-pro.htm>  and Image Analyst
<http://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/analysis/image-analyst/what-is-the-ar
cgis-pro-image-analyst-extension-.htm> .
3.	Improved 3D editing with inclusion of an editing grid, so you can
snap and edit more accurately in 3D.
4.	Two new viewing modes for 3D scenes, Perspective and Isometric
5.	Expansion of Arcade language so you can now write expressions for
elevation, display fields, extrusion and attribute driven symbology.
6.	Create selection layers
7.	Copy coordinates to clipboard
8.	Dot Density symbology now supported
9.	Improved support for grids and graticules in layouts
10.	Add and modify tables in layouts
11.	More.

These are just a few of the improvements you will find in ArcGIS Pro 2.1.
For a complete list go to
http://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/get-started/whats-new-in-arcgis-pro.htm.

This version was just released. If you are using ArcGIS Pro as your primary
desktop GIS application, you may want to test 2.1 before you put it into
full production. I did beta test this version and did find the beta version
to be a bit more prone to crashing than 2.0. However, I have not had a
chance to test the final release version. So, it might be better.

If you have not looked at ArcGIS Pro yet, I strongly encourage you to do so.
It will replace ArcMap, ArcCatalog, ArcScene and ArcGlobe in the not too
distant future. So, it is not a matter of if you will have to migrate, it is
a matter of when. ArcGIS Pro is a completely different animal so do not get
caught unprepared.

Tripp Corbin, MCP, GISP | Chief Executive Officer

 <mailto:tcorbin at egisassociates.com> tcorbin at egisassociates.com |
www.egisassociates.com

678-710-9710 ext 0021 | 678-672-8970 Direct Dial

Esri Certified Desktop Professional | Esri Certified Enterprise System
Design Associate

Pre-order my new
<https://www.packtpub.com/application-development/arcgis-pro-cookbook>
ArcGIS Pro Cookbook now & don't forget about
<https://www.packtpub.com/application-development/learning-arcgis-pro>
Learning ArcGIS Pro