shrug-l: Now here is a new one, least for me.

Duane Treadon duanet at thomasville.org
Wed Jan 24 12:53:30 EST 2018

Wow,  what a great response and quick.  Thanks all!!!

Based on the suggestions given it looks like the issues was with ArcMap's Display Cache.  When I cleared that (Customize > ArcMap Options > Display Cache tab)  my view of the map changed to that of everyone else's (fuzzy imagery and offset lines).  The end assessment is that ESRI's new imagery for our area is not as good as the previous imagery used.

We were able to pull in imagery provided by Georgia's GIO/GEMA from ESRI as a WMTS service.  The imagery is clear and our line data now lines up.

Thanks again for the responses.  Now let's hope ESRI brings back the older but better imagery for our area.

Duane 'JT' Treadon, GISP
Director of GIS | City of Thomasville | Engineering
Office: (229) 227-4023 | Cell: (229) 221-5991
111 Victoria Place | P.O. Box 1540 | Thomasville, GA | 31799

The Power of Community. The Power of Service.

So today we are experiencing an interesting anomaly that I have never come across before.  Our Engineering Department has a standard map that they access for viewing various utility and road system data sets. It is a common map saved to a folder on the sever.  Today when they opened the map (on various computers) they noticed that items like road center line and other line were off by about 25 feet from the aerial imagery (ESRI World Imagery).  That part is not too crazy to us, we know that  there are quite a few variables that could have caused this.

Now for the crazy part.  In looking into this issue I opened the same map from the same folder on the server using the same version of ArcMap and same version of the data.  When I did this, everything lined up as expected.  There was no offset of the lines.  Several of the others using the map closed ArcMap, rebooted their computers and opened the same map, they got the same results as before where the lines were offset by about 25 feet.

So any ideas on why when they open the map they are showing an offset of the data by about 25 feet and yet when I open the same map on my computer everything lines up correctly.  Is there some setting or configuration that we are missing?

Thanks all for your assistance in the mystery of the offset lines.