[FRC] ISWM Workshop SERDC Summit

Moore, Karen S. Karen.S.Moore at dep.state.fl.us
Fri Nov 4 08:19:59 EDT 2016

Good Morning,

If anyone is attending the Southeast Recycling Development Council Conference in Atlanta, November 7-9, please see the EPA announcement below.  Your participation is needed and appreciated...

Colleagues

Those of you who are registered to attend the SERDC Summit in Atlanta November 7-9 have previously received a specific invite to our Integrated Solid Waste Management Workshop on Wednesday, Nov 9, 10:30 to 1:30.  We encourage all of you to ensure that attendees from your organization are aware of this continuance of our discussions over the summer and extending to the past several years. We also hope you'll consider joining us yourselves to be part of the discussion, and to benefit from the information and networking opportunities presented in such a summit atmosphere.

As you know, EPA and its consulting team led by CSRA have been engaging our state and local partners to develop a suite of tools identified during our discussions in 2015. These tools include:   1) 2030 Vision for Integrated Solid Waste Management in EPA Region 4; 2) Guide to Full Cost Accounting and System Funding; and 3) Benchmarking Analytics for New Program Expansions. At the upcoming SERDC Summit, EPA and our consulting team will provide updates on these tools and ask you to review them and provide comment. We are especially interested in identifying local government partners to try out the analytical tools:
1.            Implementing residential single-stream collection
2.            Implementing residential dual-stream collection
3.            Transitioning a single stream residential curbside program from collection using bins to using carts
4.            Implementing a comprehensive drop-off program
5.            Implementing a hub and spoke system

By participating in this discussion, representatives of local governments, recycling and solid waste businesses and other stakeholders will learn of our progress thus far and have the opportunity to talk about your challenges and successes in the management of solid waste and how EPA Region 4 can best tailor these tools for use in your communities, your states and in the Region as a whole. See the attached agenda for more information.

So join us on Wednesday, November 9th, from 10:30AM to 1:30PM (and we will be cognizant of the desire of many to start the journey home). Please RSVP to Steve Smith, US EPA, at smith.steved at epa.gov<mailto:smith.steved at epa.gov>. For questions, contact Steve via email or at 404-562-8501, or David Langston at Langston.david at epa.gov<mailto:Langston.david at epa.gov> , 404-562-8478.

Lunch is provided. Thanks and we look forward to hearing from you!

Jon D. Johnston, Chief
Materials and Waste Management Branch
EPA Region 4
404-562-8527