[FRC] State Statute Question

Tessa Schreiner SchreinerT at leoncountyfl.gov
Thu Dec 14 11:13:17 EST 2017

Hi Folks,

We're working on strategies to increase our recycling rates, with a heavy focus on commercial recycling. I'd like to hear your thoughts on how you are implementing (or plan to implement) the following state statue (also attached):
Section 403.7049(5)(c) in the State Statutes says: "In accordance with applicable local government ordinances, newly developed property receiving a certificate of occupancy, or its equivalent, on or after July 1, 2012, that is used for multifamily residential or commercial purposes, must provide adequate space and an adequate receptacle for recycling by tenants and owners of the property..."
Currently, we do not verify that collection containers are in place prior to issuance of a CO, as we do not have the statutory authority (FL Building Code or LDC) to implement that type of requirement. Our question for other Counties/Cities is how they (or if they) are implementing this, and if/how they changed their code to do so. Examples of code language would be most helpful!

Thanks in advance for your help and insight!

Tessa

Tessa Schreiner, LEED GA
Recycling and Sustainability Manager
Office of Sustainability
Leon County
1907 S. Monroe St.
Tallahassee, FL 32301
Email: SchreinerT at leoncountyfl.gov
Office: (850) 606-5021
www.GrowingGreen.org

"People Focused. Performance Driven."

Thank you for your email. Please note that under Florida's Public Records laws, most written communications to or from county staff or officials regarding county business are public records available to the public and media upon request. Your e-mail communications may therefore be subject to public disclosure.

Please consider the environment before printing this email!