[FRC] Recycling in Municipal Facilities?

Barnes, Travis BarnesT at hillsboroughcounty.org
Fri Dec 15 14:56:21 EST 2017

Recycling Coordinators,

Happy Friday.  I'm researching how to best expand recycling services to the remaining county facilities that do not yet have recycling.  If your jurisdiction has an internal recycling program whereby a private hauler provides recycling collection services, please forward me your agreement to review.

I'd also be interested to hear your feedback on the following:

1.       Do you primarily rely on County staff to empty desk-side recycling bins or janitorial services?

2.       What is the cost of your recycling program for municipal facilities?  How was the cost of adding recycling services justified?

3.       Do you have a revenue sharing provision whereby you get either a discount on collection costs or a rebate back from the sale of recyclables OR do you allow the private hauler to keep all recycling revenue?

4.       What was the driving force that lead to the creation of your recycling program for municipal buildings? (i.e. a formal policy was adopted by your Board, established sustainability goals, etc.)

Thanks in advance for all feedback and responses.  I hope to see many of you at the upcoming SWANA/RFT conference next month.

Travis S. Barnes, MPA, LEED AP
Recycling Coordinator
Solid Waste Management Division

P: (813) 209-3085
E: BarnesT at HillsboroughCounty.org<mailto:BarnesT at HillsboroughCounty.org>
W: HCFLGov.net/Recycling

Hillsborough County
332 N. Falkenburg Road, Tampa, FL 33619

Facebook<http://www.fb.com/HillsboroughFL>  |  Twitter<https://twitter.com/hillsboroughfl>  |  YouTube<https://www.youtube.com/user/HillsboroughCounty>  |  LinkedIn<https://www.linkedin.com/company/hillsborough-county>  |  HCFL Stay Safe<http://hcflgov.net/staysafe>

Please note: All correspondence to or from this office is subject to Florida's Public Records law.
When recycling please remember, No Plastic Bags! Bags and other items that can tangle such as ropes, cords, wires, and hoses damage the recycling sorting equipment.  You can recycle all your plastic bags at participating local grocery and retail stores but not in your blue cart.  Thank you for recycling!