gis-l: Desktop ArcGIS 9.0 Available (BUT NOT RECOMMENDED)

Clay, Linc Linc.Clay@dep.state.fl.us
Wed, 4 Aug 2004 15:45:37 -0400

GIS Users,

ArcGIS 9.0 Desktop was released by ESRI recently.  Several of you have
expressed an interest in it.  We are making it available to the you on =
an "as
is" and untested basis.  We DO NOT recommend installing it unless it
advertises a necessary function that you need and that is not available =
in
ArcGIS 8.3.  We have not fully tested it and the user forums report =
issues
with it.

Tallahassee users with a fiber connection to the intranet may use the =
"one
button" install from the web at

	http://depnet/gis/services/installs_index.htm

Users not connected to the intranet by fiber may wish to use the =
installation
CDs we have shipped to the District GIS Coordinators (or IT Coordinators
acting in that capacity). =20

Installation Notes -

* With either install (network or CD), administrator privileges are =
required
to successfully install ArcGIS 9.0.

* ArcGIS 8.3 tools (DataMiner and ImageTools) are NOT compatible with =
ArcGIS
9.0.

* Users CANNOT run ArcGIS 8.3 and 9.0 parallel.  They must uninstall 8.3
prior to installing 9.0.

* We recommend waiting for the 9.0.1 or 9.1 release of ArcGIS (coming in =
Fall
2004).

* Installation instructions are available on the intranet for network
installs and included with the CDs for local installs.

* A service pack is now available at the URL above.

-Linc

Linc Clay
FDEP/DRAM/BIS/GIS
2600 Blair Stone Rd, MS 6520