gis-l: ERAtools migration plans

Butgereit, Richard Richard.Butgereit@dep.state.fl.us
Mon, 21 Feb 2005 15:51:33 -0500

I've been asked by Linc Clay to provide some information on the status =
of
migration plans for the ERAtools extension to ArcView 3.x and the =
upcoming
ArcGIS training classes...

What is ERAtools?
Many FDEP GIS users (particularly those in the ERP program) are familiar =
with
the ERAtools extension to ArcView 3.2a. Those unfamiliar with the =
application
may visit http://depnet/wrm/special/gis/eratools/index.htm, look for
Environmental Resource Analysis extension to ArcView GIS (ERAtools), and =
read
more to learn about the powerful GIS analysis and data management tools =
this
extension makes available to desktop GIS users.

How much longer may ERAtools be used?
FDEP's GIS migration plans call for moving away from ArcView 3.2a.  In =
fact,
ArcView 3.2a is no longer supported by BIS/GIS, and we expect that =
ERAtools
and ArcView 3.2a may no longer be usable within the Department when =
BIS/GIS
upgrades our GIS data library from the current version to ArcSDE 9.x
(scheduled for late summer or early fall of '05). Until then, folks
interested in using ERAtools may still have access to these tools by
installing ArcView 3.2a and the optional ERAtools configuration found at
http://depnet/wrm/special/gis/eratools/eratools_config.htm.

What replacements are being developed for ERAtools?
We are working on 2 replacements for users of ERAtools--

The first replacement is to enhance GIS analysis capabilities in =
internet
mapping sites like ERAonline (http://wrmims/eraonline) and Map Direct.  =
The
GIS analyses available through these websites require no additional =
software
be installed on the user's machine and also require little or no =
training.
Though these analyses do not offer the flexibility and robustness of =
analyses
currently available in ERAtools, we are working on making the analyses =
more
powerful and including more user options.  Map Direct, currently under
development, includes some of these enhancements, and may be test driven =
by
visiting the WRM Data Portal at http://wrmims/dataportal, selecting =
Search by
Location or Search by Facility, making choices to open the map, and then
using the Analysis Point tool in the Map Direct window.

The second replacement we are working on is recreating some of the GIS
analysis capabilities of ERAtools in ArcGIS 9.x.  The target audience =
for
these tools is GIS analysts, and the recent Geoprocessing and Python =
class
was a step towards developing these tools. We hope to have these tools
available by the end of this summer.   =20

What does this mean to the upcoming Intro to ArcGIS I classes?
GIS users who were planning on attending these classes expecting that =
the
same tools currently available to them in ERAtools (e.g. Standard
Resources-At-Risk or Topic Query and Analysis) would be available in =
ArcGIS
should not attend these classes.  GIS users who regularly make =
customized
maps, extensively create and edit their own GIS data, and/or perform =
GIS analyses should attend these classes.  For more information on =
training
please visit http://depnet/gis/training.

Thanks,
Richard Butgereit