gis-l: ArcGIS 10 at FDEP

North, Joe Joe.North at dep.state.fl.us
Mon Nov 15 11:10:31 EST 2010

Good Morning,

I've recently stepped into the position vacated by Jonathan Watson who was coordinating enterprise GIS support for the Department.  I've been with the Division of Environmental Assessment and Restoration and its precursors for a while but am now greatly enjoying the chance to learn more about the Department's many other functions.  I'm most interested to learn how we have in the past, now and hope to in the future help you all.

One of the functions the OTIS/GIS group serves is ESRI licensing maintenance.  You may have heard that a new version, ArcGIS 10 is now available.  In fact, the first service pack to ArcGIS 10, designed to address a number of bug-fixes in the initial release, was just made public last Thursday.  This is a milestone event in that the service packs typically solve the most commonly encountered problems and so the product, post service pack, presumably provides a more stable work environment.

OTIS/GIS is currently involved in the testing of this presumption.  We're working to arrive at a reasonable assurance that ArcGIS10 works well with our specific environment and once so, will let you know about an internal release date.  Please note that we will continue to distribute licensing and support for ArcGIS 9.3.1 for some time so if you don't feel the need to move to 10, you'll be ok.

Please let me know any questions/comments you have and I'll do my best to answer or find someone who can.

Thanks!

Joe North
GIS Coordinator/Data Processing Manager
Office of Technology and Information Services
2600 Blair Stone Rd, MS 6520
850-245-8296

The Department of Environmental Protection values your feedback as a customer. DEP Secretary Mimi Drew is committed to continuously assessing and improving the level and quality of services provided to you. Please take a few minutes to comment on the quality of service you received. Simply click on this link to the DEP Customer Survey<http://survey.dep.state.fl.us/?refemail=Joe.North@dep.state.fl.us>. Thank you in advance for completing the survey.