[Pharmwaste] EPA Pilot Program

Doyle, Kelly kelly.doyle@h-gac.com
Thu, 10 Feb 2005 09:38:34 -0600

------_=_NextPart_001_01C50F86.946B9540

I am sure that many of you will have already heard of this through other
outlets, but wanted to pass it along...

EPA take-back program collects 700 containers of meds in Maine

Feb. 9 -- The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency helped organize a
prescription drug take-back program in Maine that collected more than 700
containers of medication that otherwise would have been discarded in the
trash and could have contaminated waterways.
The EPA said the effort was a pilot program, and the agency hopes to repeat
the program elsewhere.
A study conducted four years ago by the U.S. Geological Survey found that 80
percent of 139 streams sampled across 30 states detected very low
concentrations of chemicals commonly found in prescription drugs. Residents
from 17 Maine communities brought their prescriptions to a location in
Portland for proper disposal. The medications will be incinerated.

(from Waste News daily email 02/10/05)

Kelly Doyle
Environmental Planner
Houston-Galveston Area Council
kelly.doyle@h-gac.com
(713) 993-4566
fax (713) 993-4503

------_=_NextPart_001_01C50F86.946B9540

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Dus-ascii">
5.5.2653.12">
<TITLE>EPA Pilot Program</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT FACE=3D"Book Antiqua">I am sure that many of you will have =
already heard of this through other outlets, but wanted to pass it =
along...</FONT>
</P>

<P><B><FONT SIZE=3D5 FACE=3D"Times New Roman">EPA take-back program =
collects 700 containers of meds in Maine</FONT></B><BR>
<BR>
<FONT FACE=3D"Times New Roman">Feb. 9 -- The U.S. Environmental =
Protection Agency helped organize a prescription drug take-back program =
in Maine that collected more than 700 containers of medication that =
otherwise would have been discarded in the trash and could have =
contaminated waterways. </FONT></P>

<P><FONT FACE=3D"Times New Roman">The EPA said the effort was a pilot =
program, and the agency hopes to repeat the program elsewhere. </FONT>
<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Times New Roman">A study conducted four years ago by =
the U.S. Geological Survey found that 80 percent of 139 streams sampled =
across 30 states detected very low concentrations of chemicals commonly =
found in prescription drugs. Residents from 17 Maine communities =
brought their prescriptions to a location in Portland for proper =
disposal. The medications will be incinerated.</FONT></P>
<BR>

<P><FONT FACE=3D"Book Antiqua">(from Waste News daily email =
02/10/05)</FONT>
</P>

<P><I><FONT FACE=3D"Book Antiqua">Kelly Doyle</FONT></I>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Book Antiqua">Environmental Planner</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Book Antiqua">Houston-Galveston Area =
Council</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Book Antiqua">kelly.doyle@h-gac.com</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Book Antiqua">(713) 993-4566</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Book Antiqua">fax (713) 993-4503</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>
</HTML>
------_=_NextPart_001_01C50F86.946B9540--