[Pharmwaste] White House Drug Disposal Policy with listofdrugsto be flushed

DeBiasi,Deborah dldebiasi at deq.virginia.gov
Wed Apr 18 16:24:10 EDT 2007

Here is the site for the White House Drug Policy.  Make sure that you
copy the entire link into your browser or it won't come up for you.
This is a .pdf file.

http://www.whitehousedrugpolicy.gov/publications/pdf/prescrip_disposal.p
df

I have selected and pasted the names of the drugs that the FDA still
wants to have flushed:

The FDA advises that the following drugs be flushed down the toilet
instead of thrown in the trash:
Actiq (fentanyl citrate)
Daytrana Transdermal Patch (methylphenidate)
Duragesic Transdermal System (fentanyl)
OxyContin Tablets (oxycodone)
Avinza Capsules (morphine sulfate)
Baraclude Tablets (entecavir)
Reyataz Capsules (atazanavir sulfate)
Tequin Tablets (gatifloxacin)
Zerit for Oral Solution (stavudine)
Meperidine HCl Tablets
Percocet (Oxycodone and Acetaminophen)
Xyrem (Sodium Oxybate)
Fentora (fentanyl buccal tablet)

Note: Patients should always refer to printed materialaccompanying their
medication for specific instructions.

Here's the list of all of the federal guidance on drug disposal I have
seen lately:

During the past 2 months, there have been series of publications
released from Federal/ National sources on proper disposal of
prescription drugs:
February 14, 2007     APhA (American Pharmacists Association) Provides
Guidance on Proper Medication Disposal Use with Respect and Discard with
Care

http://www.aphanet.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=News_Releases1&CONTENTID=
7481&TEMPLATE=/CM/ContentDisplay.cfm

February 20, 2007		The Federal Government, including the
White House Office of National Drug Control Policy, the Dept. of Health
& Human Services, and the Environmental Protection Agency jointly issued
guidelines for proper disposal of prescription drugs.
http://www.ondcp.gov/news/press07/022007.html

February, 2007		The White Office expanded the previous
announcement and added the list of drugs that should still be disposed
of by flushing.
http://www.whitehousedrugpolicy.gov/publications/pdf/prescrip_disposal.p
df

March 17, 2007  	The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and the
American Pharmacists Association (APhA) have banded together to help
protect our nation's fish and aquatic resources from improper disposal
of medication.
http://www.aphanet.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=News_Releases1&CONTENTID=
7657&TEMPLATE=/CM/ContentDisplay.cfm

Deborah L. DeBiasi
Email:   dldebiasi at deq.virginia.gov
WEB site address:  www.deq.virginia.gov
Office of Water Permit Programs
Industrial Pretreatment/Toxics Management Program
Mail:          P.O. Box 1105, Richmond, VA  23218 (NEW!)
Location:  629 E. Main Street, Richmond, VA  23219
PH:         804-698-4028
FAX:      804-698-4032