[Pharmwaste] Human contraceptives are bad for fish

Volkman, Jennifer Jennifer.Volkman at state.mn.us
Mon Feb 25 16:08:32 EST 2008

Again a question to help define what we can capture/reduce and what wastewater treatment may have to deal with...Does anyone have a general list of hormones naturally released by humans vs. those prescribed for various reasons; any idea of relative quantity released into the environment?  Probably another one of those impossible numbers to quantify... Although waste minimization is our area of expertise, I get questions on how much we can  impact the levels of various hormones in wastewater via collection if we are all naturally secreting them.  Maybe I am the only one who needs "Hormones 101"?...  I bet this person would be a great conference speaker!