[Pharmwaste] Household Pharmaceutical Collection Program

David Banas David.Banas at state.co.us
Wed Oct 29 16:19:01 EDT 2008

I represent the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment.  The Department is considering implementing a household pharmaceutical collection program.  I am concerned about DEA preventing this program from going forward absent police and or pharmacist oversight.  I know of some Colorado cities that have received mixed messages from DEA and have apparently proceeded with collection programs absent formal DEA approval.
What experience do people have with these issues?  I'd appreciate any legal cites, examples of programs and legal problems that have been experienced, or other anecdotes.
Thanks for your help,
-David

David Banas
Assistant Attorney General
Natural Resources and Environment Section
Colorado Department of Law
1525 Sherman St.
Denver, CO 80203
303.866.5456