[Pharmwaste] Household Pharmaceutical Collection Program

Lauer, Michelle MLauer at Christianacare.org
Thu Oct 30 07:56:12 EDT 2008

Hi David,
   In Delaware, we have only been able to implement one day take back
events with Law Enforcement, the Delaware Director of Controlled
Substances and DEA reps present. In fact, the DEA insisted that these
events be held in police headquarters, not in Senior Centers or
pharmacies, which was our initial preference. I actually had to appeal
to the deputy attorney general and the director of the office of
professional regulations to even get this accomplished. The Director of
the Office of Controlled Substances, in conjunction with the DEA in
Philadelphia region have many security concerns. We did collect an
estimated $250,000 worth of controlled substances at one of our events,
but had no problems. This is above and beyond the security precautions
recommended by NERC and what, I believe, is legally required. But, if
the end result is the same - diverting meds from water supplies - we are
willing to compromise.
     Our goal is to have an ongoing, continuous return program in
pharmacies statewide. I am currently writing a summary of the events
held statewide in order to substantiate to the huge need.
Thanks,

Michelle Lauer, RN, MSN, BC
Patient Care Coordinator - Psychiatry
(302) 428-2117 or pager # 884-9440