[Pharmwaste] (no subject)

Megan Fakih Megan.Fakih at SPARROW.ORG
Wed Aug 12 11:42:29 EDT 2009

Susan,
I am also working to tackle our pharm waste.  In Michigan we have a Universal Waste law which I believe would allow us to co-mingle our hazardous waste (as you described) as long as we know we aren't putting things together that could react.  The only other state that I know has the Universal Waste law is Florida.  I am not an expert on waste labeling but it doesn't sound right that the waste is labeled as solids when you most likely have liquids mixed in there.

Megan Fakih, RPh, MBA
St Lawrence Campus
Pharmacy Supervisor
1210 W Saginaw St
Lansing, Mi 48915
Phone: (517) 364-6341

>>> Susan Zabo <SusanZ at ohanet.org> 8/12/2009 10:49 AM >>>
A hospital in Ohio is investigating pharm waste. They have received a quote from a company who currently picks up bulk chemo. The company’s solution to the pharm waste is to co-mingle all waste with the exception of bulk chemo into one container (toxic, ignitable, corrosive) so the staff does not have to segregate into different boxes. They then incinerate the whole drum of co-mingled hazardous waste under NOS Waste Solids Toxic. I am uncomfortable with this practice and was wondering if anyone has heard of this practice?

Susan Zabo
Project Consultant
Ohio Hospital Association
155 East Broad Street, 15th Floor