[Pharmwaste] DEA drug takeback drive

Ronald Ney randsney at gmail.com
Fri Aug 20 15:14:22 EDT 2010

FYI

fromWaste & Recycling News <news at wastenews.com>

reply-toreply-news at wastenews.com

toRONALD E NEY <RANDSNEY at comcast.net>

dateFri, Aug 20, 2010 at 10:16 AM

subjectDEA coordinates prescription drug takeback drive

*DEA coordinates prescription drug takeback drive*

Aug. 20 – The Drug Enforcement Agency is coordinating a nationwide
prescription drug takeback program Sept. 25.

Held in conjunction with local governments and health and law enforcement
partnerships, the program will provide free, anonymous collections for
expired, unused and unwanted prescription drugs. It is aimed at preventing
prescription drug abuse and improper disposal, the DEA said.

"With this National Prescription Drug Take-Back campaign, we are
aggressively reaching out to individuals to encourage them to rid their
households of unused prescription drugs that pose a safety hazard and can
contribute to prescription drug abuse," said Acting Deputy Attorney General
Gary G. Grindler. "The Department of Justice is committed to doing
everything we can to make our communities safer, and this initiative
represents a new front in our efforts."

Collection sites in local communities are listed at www.dea.gov. The website
will be updated as more locations are added. Other partners in the
collection effort include the White House Office of National Drug Control
Policy; the Partnership for a Drug-Free America; the International
Association of Chiefs of Police; the National Association of Attorneys
General; the National Association of Boards of Pharmacy; the Federation of
State Medical Boards; and the National District Attorneys Association.

Contact Waste & Recycling News reporter Amanda Smith-Teutsch at 330-865-6166
or asmith-teutsch at crain.com

Ron Ney