FW: [Pharmwaste] Prescription Drug Disposal in OK

Stevan Gressitt gressitt at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 08:40:27 EST 2011

But there is a famous old recipe at:

 http://www.who.int/water_sanitation_health/medicalwaste/unwantpharm.pdf

 <http://www.who.int/water_sanitation_health/medicalwaste/unwantpharm.pdf>
2.3 Waste immobilization: encapsulation
Encapsulation involves immobilizing the pharmaceuticals in a solid block
within a plastic or
steel drum. Drums should be cleaned prior to use and should not have
contained explosive
or hazardous materials previously. They are filled to 75% capacity with
solid and semi-solid
pharmaceuticals, and the remaining space is filled by pouring in a medium
such as cement
or cement/lime mixture, plastic foam or bituminous sand. For ease and speed
of filling, the
drum lids should be cut open and bent back. Care should be taken to avoid
cuts to hands
when placing pharmaceuticals in the drums. Once the drums are filled to 75%
capacity, the
mixture of lime, cement and water in the proportions 15:15:5 (by weight) is
added and the
drum filled to capacity. A larger quantity of water may be required
sometimes to attain a
satisfactory liquid consistency. Steel drum lids should then be bent back
and sealed, ideally
by seam or spot welding. The sealed drums should be placed at the base of a
landfill and
covered with fresh municipal solid waste. For ease of movement, the drums
may be placed
on pallets which can then be put on a pallet transporter.
Encapsulation of antineoplastic drugs requires a slightly different
technique (see Section
4.6).

Stevan Gressitt, M.D.
Faculty Associate, University of Maine Center on Aging
Academic Member, Athens Institute for Education and Research
Athens, Greece
Founding Director, International Institute for Pharmaceutical Safety
University of New England, College of Pharmacy
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
Associate Professor of Clinical Psychiatry
University of New England, College of Osteopathic Medicine
716 Stevens Avenue
Portland, Maine 04103
gressitt at gmail.com
Cell: 207-441-0291