[Pharmwaste] Pharma industry complaint against Alameda County

Joel Kreisberg drkreisberg at teleosis.org
Wed Dec 12 20:15:40 EST 2012

I have to agree with Heidi. I'm not sure what is informing your
"definitive" tone.    Indeed currently the "company" called consumers are
paying for this service.  So they are invested at this point.  While the
are many more stakeholders in healthcare then in electronics and paint, and
indeed no one prescribes paint or cell phones, the stakeholder making the
largest profit here is the manufacturer.  As well, pharm sales continue to
rise about 6% a year, in part because of the for profit system.   In a
closed system such as Kaiser, the corporation is actively working on
reducing waste in terms of prescribing patterns and adherence patterns.  In
the free market system, the incentive to consume and dispose begins with
the publicly traded pharmaceutical manufacturer (look at those numbers
Fred).  Sure the profits move down the line, but again, the biggest profit
is up front and the smallest is sales at retail.   Yep, creating incentives
for improving compliance and reducing overprescribing is necessary, perhaps
these would be better invested in a for profit system if the biggest money
makers had a cradle-to-cradle design system.  This ordinance is an attempt
to create that structure.

Its actually easier then you and manufacturers are making it out to be.
That's why when I check with three economists I get three different
answers, so your point isn't clear.  And your point about human
nature--thank you for your sharing--It's helps us all in understanding what
we are up against in our collective attempt to create an equitable system
of ecological health.

I think Heidi's point was that to date, most on this list serve were in
support of cradle-to-cradle solutions to ecological issues.  Product
stewardship is the current best practice, not the only solution.  At least
for me, I'm glad you are reminding me of the hubris of human nature that is
never far off.

We'll keep working on it.

Joel

--