[Pharmwaste] FW: Cytotoxic Chemotherapy drugs/groundwater connection

Tenace, Laurie Laurie.Tenace at dep.state.fl.us
Fri Jan 6 13:11:19 EST 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: Chuck Lie [mailto:CLie at terra-associates.com]
Sent: Friday, January 06, 2012 11:31 AM
To: 'pharmwaste-bounces at lists.dep.state.fl.us'
Subject: FW: Cytotoxic Chemotherapy drugs/groundwater connection

The next question is the use of Iodine 131.  I did some research a couple of years ago and found that the web based outreach advice from veterinarians was to contain all cat box litter for three months when using I 131 for cats.  Yet I did not see any outreach on the web for humans that are treated with I 131.  It may be short lived but in my community, indeed many communities, there are houses with septic systems that are within a short travel time to drinking water wells.

Perhaps we should outlaw shallow alluvial aquifers from being drinking water sources?

Chuck Lie
Hydrogeologist