[Pharmwaste] Items Accepted at Permanent Collection

Fredrick L. Miller millerfl at tricity.wsu.edu
Tue Mar 27 13:21:07 EDT 2012

Since you asked the question, Margaret, it's my opinion the best current
way to handle the problem is to use the HHW program with cooperation
from state Board of Pharmacy (or equivalent in other jurisdictions) to
provide supporting expertise and deal with custody of controlled
substances, and with funding from industry.

Here's why that makes sense to me.

Citizens in many if not most jurisdictions in America are already
accustomed to recycling and HHW management through their local programs.
They can identify where and when to take the dangerous things they no
longer want in their homes.

Many political subdivisions have adequate secure facilities for HHW
operations so it would be relatively inexpensive to add a small
pharmaceutical management unit to the facility.  Those with mobile
programs such as King County's "Wastemobile" would face a bit more of a
challenge but it should still be doable.

Having healthcare folks instead of police visible at the collection
point would encourage a certain sector of the population which might not
otherwise participate.  Further, this provides staff with much greater
understanding of the (legitimate) materials being collected.  Something
would still have to be done for contraband and oddball items but the
vast majority of the materials would be appropriately handled.
Healthcare staff could be scheduled for specific days/events to maximize
their utility while minimizing cost.

Cost of operations (cost to funding entities) would be minimized due to
economies of scale and synergies captured by utilizing existing
facilities and staff who already have appropriate education, experience,
and training.

That's my pipe dream and I'm sticking with it until someone comes up
with a better answer.

Fred Miller

p.s. Fred Gabriel is correct to point out that rules re. HHW vary from
state to state.  This is yet another reason I believe the HHW folks are
best suited for dealing with the issue.