[Pharmwaste] Items Accepted at Permanent Collection

Pete Pasterz PAPasterz at cabarruscounty.us
Tue Mar 27 13:54:39 EDT 2012

Fred, your pipe dream sounds like my nightmare.  Please have a conversation with HHW personnel (such as myself) who have concerns about becoming known as "the place where the drugs are"...even with Law enforcement present during open hours, and even if the drugs are removed immediately upon the end of the collection day.  I don’t particularly relish the thought of convincing some strung out kid with a gun as I leave work one late evening that they are no longer here.

We have hard enough time keeping our budgets from shrinking, especially in this economy where local government is the lagging indicator of the economy's health.  HHW's were established in a time when local governments were accustomed to accepting the role of disposer of last resort for any and all of society's cast offs.   With the surge in interest in EPR programs for problem items such as batteries, electronics, paint, etc...I think that drug disposal should likewise be the responsibility of the manufacturers who invent, market, and profit by them.  Why should a waste management, water treatment or police department's budget be obligated??

 Pete Pasterz, NCQRP  SCTSOS
Cabarrus County Waste Reduction
PO BOX 707
Concord, NC  28026
704-920-3280
www.cabarruscounty.us/waste
If you're not for ZERO Waste, how much Waste ARE you for?