[Pharmwaste] Following up on Trash Disposal study discussion

David Stitzhal stitzhal at fullcircleenvironmental.com
Fri May 18 16:08:07 EDT 2012

Great discussion re. the recent Michigan report on trash disposal.

I want to also emphasize the importance of keeping our eyes on the
producer responsibility aspect of this public health challenge.
Certainly if the take-back with incineration approach could be
definitively shown to be considerably more environmentally harmful
than trash disposal, then we would want to consider the landfill-only
approach.  However, given the limits of life-cycle assessment, that
is unlikely to be the case.  (And we still need to answer important
questions about this study, such as those raised already on this
forum re. number of trips, trip-chaining, etc.).

But the point I want to raise has to do with who should be paying for
whatever management approach we take.  The world, and slowly the US,
is moving toward a producer responsibility approach for financing and
managing our daily discards.  The cost of end-of-life impacts should
be placed in the producer-consumer relationship, not in the govt.-
taxpayer relationship.

So, with overall environmental impact being equal  between
landfilling and take-back  -- and I suspect that even if the MI study
proves to be robust, landfilling won't come out way ahead of
take-back and incineration -- take-back programs in which the bill
goes to the pharmaceutical manufacturers is the way to go  (for
public health, environmental health, and public safety reasons).

However, even if we do end up with an all-landfilling solution, we
still need to find a way to shift the costs of that approach to the
producers.  What does it cost to have a modern landfill that captures
pharmaceuticals (some of which are RCRA listed hazardous waste)?
What does it cost to capture leachate and send it to sewage
treatment? What does it cost to capture meds at sewage treatment
plants?  What does it cost to have inter-sex fish due to the meds we
don't capture in treatment? What does it cost when we send bio-active
drug constituents in the sewage sludge to be land-applied on our food
crops?  What does it cost to research whether those crops deliver
meds to our bodies?  Perhaps those costs should be borne by producers
as well before they can bring product to market.

Some ruminations.

Thanks.

Stitzhal
--