[Pharmwaste] Following up on Trash Disposal study discussion

Fredrick L. Miller millerfl at tricity.wsu.edu
Fri May 18 17:14:07 EDT 2012

"take-back programs in which the bill goes to the pharmaceutical manufacturers is the way to go  (for public health, environmental health, and public safety reasons)."

I disagree.  The place where we have the chance to most immediately influence behavior is on the supply end.  So long as manufacturers and distributors can maintain the status quo of oversupplying the market and passing the costs along to insurers and consumers there's no pressure to change.  If manufacturers are to be responsible they should be forced to fund community waste management programs where individual drug costs can't be traced back and where they have no control over costs save by limiting volume distributed.

Consumers aren't going to change their behavior without some incentive.  Unless something is dead easy (throwing meds out with other garbage) or there's money to be made you're trying to push a wet noodle up a steep hill expecting people to return their meds.  If such stuff worked we wouldn't have such crummy recycling rates, disposable grocery bags, and single use batteries.  Everyday consumers don't go out of their way to do things for the good of society.  Sorry, but that's a fact.  Another elephant in the room is the disappearance of the brick and mortar pharmacy.  Rail against it all you will but mail order and on-line is an ever growing force.  Many people have no pharmacist to take their meds back to.  They're not going to remember to take their meds to a place they didn't get them in the first place.

Humans are funny animals.  They're basically lazy and self-interested but they also seem to have the attention span of a goldfish when it comes to thinking about abstract things like future harm.  Ever have a conversation with someone outside the academic/healthcare world about climate change?

Fred