[Pharmwaste] OH MY - For Medication Disposal, New Advice Is Trash BeatsTake-Back

Ed Gottlieb egottlieb at cityofithaca.org
Mon May 21 07:14:11 EDT 2012

Ditto Amy & others.

I'd like to elaborate on the question of did this study consider the
risks associated with people or animals rifling through the trash.

There are many documented cases of accidental poisonings from
medications put in the trash.  I've never hear of any occurring from a
take back program.  Does anyone on this list serve know the average cost
for one poisoning case?  The annual costs I've seen published are
staggeringly large, and climbing each year, seeming to track the
increase in the numbers of prescriptions being written.

I'd be willing to bet that if our local collection program prevented
one such poisoning (not an unreasonable conjecture considering the total
number of poisonings occurring in this country) the savings would more
than pay the costs of our program since its inception, two and a half
years ago.  Maybe it wouldn't offset the additional carbon footprint,
but we need to keep all the costs and benefits in mind when considering
options, not just a single factor.  And, just how do we measure, and
factor in, the impact on a family who loses a child in this way?

Ed Gottlieb
Chair, Coalition for Safe Medication Disposal
Industrial Pretreatment Coordinator
Ithaca Area Wastewater Treatment Facility
525 3rd Street
Ithaca, NY 14850
(607) 273-8381
fax: (607) 273-8433

>>> <Amy.Roering at co.hennepin.mn.us> 5/18/2012 2:18 PM >>>
Agreed -- discussion is good.

The conclusion are not that surprising when a person factors in
transportation (similar conclusions have been drawn about batteries,
etc.).  But I
haven't read the study.

As Jennifer stated, I wondered if the researchers considered that
consumers may combine trips (for example, drop off their old meds when
they visit
the retail pharmacy to make a purchase).  And if they considered the
risks associated with people or animals rifling through the trash.

I'm not a scientist, but it seems like the jury is still out on the
fate of pharmaceuticals when they're placed in a landfill & the
environmental
impacts.

There's also an interesting statement in the NPR story:
"But Barbara Carreno, a DEA spokeswoman, says collection programs bring
in people who otherwise might never have disposed of their old drugs.
'People
brought medicines to our [April] take-back that had been sitting in
drawers, I kid you not, for 40 years,' she says."