[Pharmwaste] DEA Take Back Results

Ed Gottlieb egottlieb at cityofithaca.org
Thu Oct 11 09:38:19 EDT 2012

Hi All,

I wrote to my regional DEA contact and asked for summary results (r.e.
average and maximum for the number of participants and amount of
medications received) for the last National Take Back Day.  I also
suggested the program might benefit if they singled out some sites for
recognition of outstanding results.  He passed my request and suggestion
to headquarters.  Their polite response (below) was that I should submit
a Freedom of Information Request.

Does the DEA only bother to add up the number of pounds received by
region and the country as a whole?  I wonder if they enter individual
site results into a spreadsheet or data base that would make analysis
practical?

Another question I have...is there a pattern to changes over time in
the number of participants and weight collected by sites that have
participated in a more than one National Take Back Day?

Do you have a question about National Take Back Day results?  Would you
like to compile questions suggested by this Listserv and submit a
Freedom of Information Request to the DEA?  If so, you have my thanks
and gratitude!

Ed Gottlieb
Chair, Coalition for Safe Medication Disposal
Ithaca, NY 14850
(607) 273-8381
fax: (607) 273-8433

>>> "Young, Lisa M." <Lisa.M.Young at usdoj.gov> 10/5/2012 9:30 AM >>>

Mr. Gottlieb,
    We appreciate your enthusiasm and assistance in participating in
the National Take Back Day sponsored by the Drug Enforcement
Administration (DEA).  We appreciate your participation and cooperation
in getting DEA’s message out into the community during each collection
event.  DEA is proud to sponsor such events in order to assist the
public in cleaning out their medicine cabinets in order to remove the
temptation for individuals to divert controlled substances that are no
longer required.  If you would like further information regarding
specific collection locations you may file a Freedom of Information
Request which can be found on www.dea.gov.

Again, thank you for your participation.

Lisa M. Young
Staff Coordinator
Liaison and Policy Section
202-307-9435