[Pharmwaste] RE: New EPA study finds more drugs in water than we knew

Paul DeLeo PDeLeo at CleaningInstitute.org
Thu Dec 12 09:10:15 EST 2013

The paper referred to in the New Republic article is available online in the journal (and has been since October 3rd): http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0269749113004879.  It focuses on pharmaceuticals in wastewater effluent.

Mitchell S. Kostich, Angela L. Batt, James M. Lazorchak. Concentrations of prioritized pharmaceuticals in effluents from 50 large wastewater treatment plants in the US and implications for risk estimation. Environmental Pollution, Volume 184, January 2014, Pages 354–359. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.envpol.2013.09.013

My understanding is that the EPA work on pharmaceuticals in drinking water will not be published until the summer of 2014.

Paul DeLeo

Paul C. DeLeo, Ph.D.
Senior Director, Environmental Safety
American Cleaning Institute

This email and its attachments are intended solely for the use of the named recipient(s) and ACI member companies. It may contain confidential, proprietary or otherwise private information. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, disclosure, dissemination, copying, printing or distribution of this email or its contents is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete it from your computer.

-----Original Message-----
From: pharmwaste-bounces at lists.dep.state.fl.us [mailto:pharmwaste-bounces at lists.dep.state.fl.us] On Behalf Of Chris Angel
Sent: Wednesday, December 11, 2013 8:09 PM
To: pharmwaste at lists.dep.state.fl.us
Subject: [Pharmwaste] New EPA study finds more drugs in water than we knew

Full report to be out in January

See link below

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/115883/drugs-drinking-water-new-epa-study-finds-more-we-knew

This new study adds to the body of evidence that drugs are being found in our drinking water. While it is assumed that some amount of drugs in water may be a a result of excretion it can also be assumed that there are number of people that continue to dispose of drugs by flushing.

We can and should be doing more to educate people about the importance or proper disposal of unused/unwanted drugs

Chris Angel,President
Volunteer Board Of Directors
Great Lakes Clean Water Organization
www.greatlakescleanwater.org
989.736.8179

---
Note: As a courtesy to other listserv subscribers, please post messages to the listserv in plain text format to avoid the garbling of messages received by digest recipients.
---
TO SUBSCRIBE, go to:   http://lists.dep.state.fl.us/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/pharmwaste